I'm pleased to share with you today's podcast episode, which is a comprehensive update of the research evidence on COVID-19 and pregnancy and childbirth!
To view the scientific references for this article, visit the COVID-19 resource page here and look for the February 17, 2021 podcast episode text.
In this podcast episode, I cover:
- The current global situation
- What we know so far about prevention/vaccines during pregnancy
- Testing and diagnosis
- Symptoms during pregnancy
- Risk of hospitalization and severe/critical illness in pregnancy
- Treatment of COVID-19 during pregnancy
- Risks to the fetus, including the risk of preterm birth
- Timing of birth if you're infected with COVID-19
- Whether its possible to transmit COVID-19 to the fetus in utero
- Antibody transfer during pregnancy and through human milk
- Newborn outcomes and best practices when a baby is born to an infected parent
- Hospital policies on permitting birth partners
- Hospital policies on permitting doulas
- Changes we've seen to labor and delivery practices during the pandemic
- Where you can go to read guidelines from professional organizations
I hope that this podcast episode is helpful! I'm happy that our research team was able to put it together for you.